I have finally finished my December fabric post card. I started it a month ago and thought I would have it finished in no time but things got busy. I managed to finish off the border on my car trip this weekend. I started with a white on white fabric (4" x 6") backed with a bit of batting and I stitched across in wavy lines to cover the whole thing. Next, I cut a red cotton circle using my Nestibilities and stitched on a white snowflake using white embroidery thread. I backed it with fusible webbing and ironed it into place on my postcard base. I added very tiny buttonhole stitch using red embroidery thread all the way around to nicely finish the edge. I stitched a hanging string in black and added a black cotton thread bow. I cut a strip of white cotton which I stamped with the words in black ink using my magnetic alphabet stamps. I then stitched it to my postcard at the top and bottom using my sewing machine. Afterwards, I stitched on red snowflakes between the words. I like that little detail. It still needed a bit of something so I added some white stitched snowflakes randomly over the whole background. I was tempted to add beads on the ornament and the background but somehow could not convince myself to do it. I added a pellon layer and the backing fabric (4.5" x 6.5") and pressed the extra over to the front and intended to just finish it with blanket stitch in white. As I was preparing this I spied a length of this beaded trim which I thought might do very nicely on the edge so I decided to incorporate it in the process of doing the blanket stitching. It took a few inches for me to get the hang of getting the spacing right for the beading to sit properly on the edge. I had sort of eyeballed the beading to see if it would be long enough to go all the way around and it certainly seemed that it would. When I finally finished the stitching all the way around it was unfortunate that the beads did not quite come together - I was short one!! I undid about two inches of the beginning to get the extra bead I needed to make the beaded border ends come together on the the corner. I was able to do that because I had sewn the beads to close together at the beginning which caused them to buckle a bit. I am glad I was able to undo and redo to get a beautiful finish on this postcard. The beaded trim is not too glittery for the rest of the elements on my postcard yet adds a bit of pizzazz to it. On hindsight, I would have been much better off to start my beaded trim in the middle of one side. It would have made the beads line up better. As it was I have glued the two corner beads to each other to make the border complete.
Had a total blast getting this postcard made and enjoyed the challenges it presented! It will be off to my partner this week!!