Sunday, July 31, 2016
I started with an experiment in free motion stitching that I made up a while back. I took small pieces of fabric and used small pieces of fusible webbing to tack them in place on my substrate fabric. I just kept laying on pieces overlapping until all the surface was covered. I started free motion sewing and I found that the tension was off so the fabric wrinkled up a lot. I had set it aside as an unfortunate experiment and when I found it the other day it looked better than I remembered. So I decided to trim it up (4" x 4") and use it as the front of my little quiltie. A while back I had my sister print off some sayings for me onto printable fusible fabric because it requires an inkjet printer which I no longer have. I chose this little saying from the sheet and cut a strip of green fabric which coordinated with my front. I trimmed out the saying, fused it to the strip and then stitched all the way around. Next, I stitched the strip to my front. I went looking into my fabric embellishments and found this flower and leaf combo that worked well with it. I stitched them into place with embroidery floss in the right colour and then added sequins and a seed bead to the middle of the flower. To add a bit more texture I decided to embroider some flowers on the green strip as well. I used seven french knots to create the flowers and added green leaves using several chain stitches. I was happy with that!! I used several scraps to create a little quilt for the back and stitched it to a layer of thick flannel using one line of stitching that spirialed from the outside edge to the inside. I backed the two pieces and stitched all the way around the edge and then did blanket stitch all the way around with brown embroidery floss!! Pretty happy with my little creation!! Half way through my border stitching I remembered that I had wanted to try couching yarn into the edge when I did blanket stitch the next time. Needless to say that will have to wait until next time!!!