Tuesday, October 03, 2017

September Cardmaking - quilted background with a chalkboard greeting

I love this quilted background technique!!   To create this background I laid coloured card stock shapes onto a piece of white cardstock to create a quilt pattern until I was happy with the way it looked.  Next, I passed it through my Big Shot using an embossing folder with a very tight design (SU Lattice) which helps the pieces incorporate into the background and gives the whole layer a quilted look. I downloaded this set of chalkboard greetings for these cards.  I did digitally embellish a blank one I created using a chalkboard font to create a few more greeting options.  I laser printed the tag greetings and provided scissors for the participants to trim them as they wished.  I trimmed mine to leave an even border all the way around.  I used an 1/8" hole punch to punch out the holes on each side.  I threaded ribbon through the holes and added the greeting to my quilted layer gluing the ends to the back using double sided tape.  I tied a small piece of ribbon to the one on the front using a single knot to simulate a bow.  I glued this whole layer to the front of a coordinating card.  Thinking it still needed a bit of something I added an embossed star over the central square.  That was better!!  Here are a few more I created at class.

Again, these are very versatile because the cardstock pieces can be any shape - stars, balloons, flowers, etc and I did use punchies on several of the background I created for my kits but die cuts would work just as well. 
While I was out there cruising the internet I did find a few downloadable chalkboard backgrounds which I will play with later.  It was fun to finally create cards with chalkboard greetings!!
Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments