Tuesday, October 03, 2017

A little birdie on a fun and funky fabric postcard

A fun fabric postcard for my partner in the birthday swap in my Trading Fabric Postcards group.  I started with a fabric collage I created a while back with colourful strips of fabric.  I have recently created several postcard using these fabric collage for the backgrounds.  I knew I needed a bold fabric for my little birdie so I kept looking until I found this fishy fabric.  It was perfect.  I applied fusible webbing to a small scrap, traced the birdie sticky note I used on these cards and trimmed it out.  I had enough to make two so I will have a spare birdie that will show up in a future creation.  I used a punchie of the wing (paisley) to trace two wings as well out of blue fabric which I had also backed with fusible webbing.  I defined the eye and the beak with a black sharpie marker and then fused it to my background.  I fused a strip of green fabric across the bottom to simulate grass.  I stitched all the way around the birdie several times using greenish yellow thread and stitch him legs and feet.  I adhered the wing and added stitching to it as well. Really happy with how it turned out!  I added a piece of batting and a white cotton backer, stitched all the way around the edge to secure all the layers to each other and then stitched around the bird in an all over pattern.  I added fusible webbing to several strips of greenish yellow fabric and used it to bind the postcard.  I cut a length for one long side, positioned it on the front overlapping the edge and used the iron to fuse it in place.  I turned the whole thing over and fused the rest of the strip to the back.  I did the other three sides to finish it off.  I used the greenish yellow thread to add two rows of stitching to the binding which finished the whole postcard off very nicely.  I used a small strip of white fusible fabric for my quote which I hand lettered using a black fine tipped Sharpie marker.  Very happy with how this one turned out!!  It is off to my partner to arrive in time for her birthday.     Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments